1. People tend to think that happiness is a stroke of luck, something that will descend like fine weather if you’re fortunate. But happiness is the result of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it , and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly.
2. Some day, we will find what we are looking for. Or maybe we won’t. Maybe we will find something much greater than that.
3. I remember the night so well; it was the night I met you. My whole body was shaking with nerves and I remember how I worried about not being able to let the words in my head leave through my mouth. I remember the way your face lit up when you saw me standing there underneath a dim light. I’d like for you to know that my body still shakes with nerves before I see you and I hope that I can continue to see your face light up like the very first time, every time.
4.You know that romantic notion that all the garbage and the pain is really healing and beautiful and sort of poetic? It’s not. It’s just garbage and it’s pain. You know what’s better? Love. The day that you start thinking that love is overrated is the day that you’re wrong. The only thing wrong with love and faith and belief is not having it.
5. Sometimes, when you’re young, you think nothing can hurt you. It’s like being invincible. your whole life is ahead of you and you have big plans. Big Plans. To find your perfect match, the one who completes you. But, as you get older, you realize it’s not always that easy. It’s not until the end of your life that you realize how the plans you made were simply plans. Because at the end , when you’re looking back instead of forward, you want to believe you made the most of what life gave you. You want to believe you’re leaving something good behind. You want it all to have mattered.
6. It’s been said that the saddest thing a person will ever face is what might have been. But what of a person whose faced with what was? Or what may never be? Or what can no longer be? Choosing the right path is never easy. It’s a decision we make with only our hearts to guide us. But sometimes, we find our way to something better. Sometimes, we fight through the regret and remorse of our mistakes, our malice, our jealously, and the shame we feel for not being the people we were meant to be. And that’s when we find our way to something better. Or when something better finds us.
7. The rest of your life is a long time and whether you know it or not, it’s being shaped right now. You can choose to blame your circumstances on fate or bad luck or bad choices or you can fight back. Things aren’t always going to be fair in the real world, that’s just the way it is. But for the most part, you get what you give. What’s worse: not getting everything you wished for or getting it but finding out it’s not enough? The rest of your life is being shaped right now. with the dreams you chase, the choices you make, and the person you decide to be. The rest of your life is a long time and the rest of your life starts right now.
8. Take a look at yourself in a mirror. Who do you see looking back? Is it the person you want to be? Or is there someone else you were meant to be- the person you were meant to be but fell short of? Believe that love is out there. Believe that dreams come true every day. Because they do. Sometimes, happiness doesn’t come from money or fame or power. Sometimes, happiness comes from good friends and family and the quiet nobility of leading a good life. Believe that dreams come true everyday. Because they do. And take a look in that mirror and remind yourself to be happy because you deserve to be. Believe. And believe that dreams come true everyday. Because they do.
9. Have you ever had a dream that seemed so real when you woke up, you didn’t know what to believe? What would you do if you thought was true, wasn’t, and you thought wasn’t true, was? Would you retreat into your dreams with the hope of finding a more perfect reality? Sometimes, life is stranger than a dream, and the only way to wake up is to face what lies are hidden in your soul. And you can only hope that in those moments of reflection, that you are not alone.
10. You know, say what you will about the ravages of sports in this corporate age where overpaid athletes expect prima donna treatment, but there’s still something so unifying about sports in its purest form, when athletes rise above themselves and touch greatness, and in doing so, remind us all that we have greatness inside of us.
11. Regret comes in all shapes and sizes. Some are small, like when we do a bad thing, for a good reason. Some are bigger, like when we let down a friend. Some of us escape the pains of regret for making the right choice. Some of us have little time for regret, because we’re looking forward to the future. Sometimes, we have to fight to come to terms with the past. And sometimes. we bury our regret, by promising to change our ways. But our biggest regrets are not for the things we did, but for the things we didn’t do. The things we didn’t say that could save someone we care about. Especially when we can see the dark storm that’s headed their way.
12. When life comes at you out of the darkness, who will you choose to face it with? Will they be wise? Will their love for you help them lead you to the light, or will they lose their way in the darkness? Will they make noble choices, or will that person be someone untested, someone new? Life comes rushing at you from out of the darkness. And when it does, is there someone you can depend on?
13. There comes a time when every life goes off course. In this desperate moment, who will you be? Will you let down your defenses and find solace in someone unexpected? Will you reach out? Will you face your greatest fears bravely or move forward with faith? Or will you succumb to the darkness in your soul?
14. Because it’s only when you’re tested that you truly discover who you are. And its only when you’re tested that you discover who you can be. The person you want to be does exist, somewhere on the other side of hard work, f and faith and belief and beyond the heartache and the fear of what life has.
15. But once in awhile, people push on to something better. Something found just beyond the pain of going at it alone and just beyond the bravery and courage it takes to let someone in. Or to give someone a second chance .Something beyond the quiet persistence of a dream.
16. There are moments in our lives when we find ourselves at a crossroad, afraid, confused, without a road map. The choices we make in these moments can define the rest of our days. Of course, when faced with the unknown, must of us prefer to turn around and go back.
17. We get bored with childhood, and rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. We lose our health to make money and then lose our money to restore our health. By thinking anxiously about the future, we forget the present, such that we live in neither the present or the future. We live as if we’ll never die and die as though we’ve never lived.
18. Happiness is what happens when you go to bed on the hottest night of the summer, a night so hot, you can’t even wear a t-shirt, and you sleep on top of the sheets instead of under them, although “try” to sleep is more accurate. And then at some point, late, late, late at night, say just a bit before dawn, the heat finally breaks and the night turns cool and when you briefly wake up, you notice that you’re almost chilly, and in your groggy, half-consciousness, you reach over and pull the sheet around you and just that flimsy sheet makes it warm enough and you drift back off into a deep sleep. And it’s that reaching, that gesture, that reflex we have to pull what’s warm- whether it’s something or someone- towards us, that feeling we get when we do that, that feeling of being safe in the world and ready for sleep, that’s happiness.
19. Wait for the person who pursues you, the one who will make an ordinary moment seem magical, the kind of person who brings out the best in you and makes you want to be a better person. Wait for the person who will be your best friend, the only person who will drop everything to be with you at any time, no matter what the circumstances.
20. We accept the love we think we deserve.