1. You can’t let people scare you. You can’t go your whole life trying to please everyone else. You can’t go through life worried about what everyone else is going to think. Whether it’s your hair, clothes, what you have to say, how you feel, what you believe and what you have. You can’t let the judgment of others stop you from being you. Because if you do, you’re no longer you. You’re someone everyone else wants you to be.
2. The moment you feel like you have to prove your worth to someone is the moment to absolutely and utterly walk away.
3. You’ll need coffee shops and sunsets and road trips. Airplanes and passports and new songs and old songs, but people more than anything else. You will need other people and you will need to be that other person to someone else, a living, breathing, screaming invitation to believe better things.
4. Open your heart and invite God into every circumstance because when God enters the scene, miracles happen.
5. Tonight’s the night for the sinners and the saints. Two worlds collide in a beautiful display. It’s all love tonight. When we step across the line, we can sail across the sea to a city with one King- a city on our knees.
6. When you got hurt, it made you beautiful. The cracks around your heart let the light shine through.
7. My whole life, I’ve been telling myself “don’t be afraid.” And it is only now that I’m realizing how stupid that is. Don’t be afraid. Like saying “don’t move out of the way when someone tries to punch you,” or “don’t flinch at the heat of a fire,” or “don’t blink.” Don’t be human. I’m afraid and you’re afraid and we’re all always going to be afraid. Because that’s the point. What I should be telling myself is “be afraid, but do it anyway.” Live anyway.
8. Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe. No less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.
9. I don’t like depending on people, because people leave all the time. Because, at the end of the day, all you have is yourself. And that has to be enough.
10. Young girls need to learn that sexiness isn’t about being naked.
11. After awhile, you just want to be with the one that makes you laugh.
12. Some days, life is all about your dreams, hopes and visions for the future. But there are some days where life is just about putting one foot in front of the other. And that’s okay.
13. There are a thousand different ways to get noticed, and most are a gamble. The easiest way to create an impact is to do it one person at a time with truth, and connection, and love.
14. I don’t need to be rich or have a fancy home. I just want to go to sleep at night knowing my labor had heart, I loved fiercely and lived close enough to the edge that I can see the waves kiss the rocks.
15. When you start to really know someone, all his physical characteristics start to disappear. You begin to dwell in his energy, recognize the scent of his skin. You see only the essence of the person, not the shell. Thats why you can’t fall in love with beauty. You can lust after it, be infatuated by it, want to own it. You can love it with your eyes and your body, but now with your heart. And that’s why, when you really connect with a person’s inner self, any physical imperfections disappear, and become irrelevant.
16. New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings.
17. Let there be spaces in your togetherness, and let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another, but make not a bond of love: let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other’s cup, but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread, but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music. Give your hearts, but not into each other’s keeping. For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together, yet not too near together: for the pillars of the temple stand apart, and the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other’s shadow.
18. You can forget that other people carry pieces of your own story around in their heads. I’ve always thought- put together all those random pieces from everyone who’s ever known you from your parents to the guy who once sat next to you on a bus, and you’d probably see a fuller version of your life than you even did while living it.
19. She always had that about her, that look of otherness, of eyes that see things much too far, and of thoughts that wander off the edge of the world.
20. The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why.